Folding a Gi (Keikogi)
How to Fold Your Karate Gi
Your gi should be folded after cleaning and after use.
- Use the Floor - The first step to properly folding a gi is to get on your knees on the floor. Lay the jacket out with the back down to the floor. Spread the sleeves out so that they point straight out to the sides in opposite directions. Smoothing the gi fabric throughout the process will eliminate wrinkles later.
- Fold Left Sleeve Over – Fold the left sleeve towards the center, stopping at the edge of the shoulder seam.
- Fold Right Sleeve Over – Fold the right sleeve towards the center, stopping at the edge of the shoulder seam.
- Fold Gi Pants – Fold the gi pants in half.
- Placing the Gi Pants in th Top – Place the gi pants in the center of the gi top with the bottom edge of the pants at the collar of the gi top.
- Fold the Left Outer Edge Inward - Now fold the left side inward to enfold the pants.
- Fold the Right Outer Edge Inward - Now fold the right side inward to enfold the pants.
- Folding the Package Up (#1) – Fold up the top of the gi pants to enfold the lower edge of the gi top.
- Folding the Package Up (#2) – Fold up the previously folded gi waist section to the center of the gi top.
- Folding the Package Up (#3) – Fold up the previously folded sections to the meet the shoulders at the top of the gi.
The following is a diagram detailing the folding of the karate gi:
Click here to learn how to tie your Belt (Obi)
Updated: Friday, 10 September 2010